PHP is a very popular choice for backend developers, for building customized solutions. This can be ascertained from the usage statistics of PHP.
Using PHP frameworks is essential for speeding up the web development process. Today, there are abundant kinds of PHP web application frameworks present on the web and amongst the plethora of choices, the two well-known PHP frameworks are Laravel and CodeIgniter.
In this blog, we will be looking at a detail comparison of CodeIgniter vs Laravel to determine which is the superior framework. Let us examine the concept and the underlying difference between Laravel and CodeIgniter frameworks in depth. This will help you decide whether you should hire Laravel developer or CodeIgniter developer for your web project.
Table of Content
- What is Laravel Framework?
- What is CodeIgniter Framework?
- Laravel vs CodeIgniter: What is The Difference?
- Which Web Framework to Use: CodeIgniter or Laravel? Why?
What is Laravel Framework?
Laravel is an open-source PHP framework, formed by Taylor Otwell and planned for full-featured web applications development.It follows the model-view-controller (MVC) architecture, inspired by another popular PHP-based framework, Symfony.
Its source code is hosted on GitHub and is licensed under the terms of the MIT License.It is a trustworthy PHP framework as it follows accurate and expressive language guidelines.
Many tasks involved in web application development, such as routing, authentication, caching, and sessions are rationalized with Laravel development to save much resources and development time.
Certain features of Laravel are diverse ways for retrieving relational databases, an integrated packaging system with a devoted dependency manager, practicalities that help in application maintenance and deployment, and its orientation towards syntactic sugar.
Being a diverse framework, Laravel has varied implementations in web application development. Monocubed provides custom Laravel development services for modern websites, enterprise web apps, eCommerce solutions and more.
Let us look at the dynamic features of the web application framework in detail.
Amazing Features of Laravel Framework
Laravel has some of the finest features which makes it a powerful PHP framework. This can be depicted from the BuiltWith graph on Laravel usage statistics.
These remarkable features make it stand out from rest of the popular web frameworks available in the market:
- Supreme quality session control
- Easy assimilation with third-party libraries
- Offers improved IO
- Modular packaging
- Inbuilt caching mechanism
- Dependency manager completely composer-based
- Built-in authentication tool
- Query builder performs as prospective ORM substitute
- Easy to use blade templating engine
10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Using Laravel
Well, this is a valid question that many developers would have in their minds. It is imperative to understand why you must choose Laravel before selecting it as your framework. Below are the reasons stated:
- Laravel framework contains an autoloading feature that can load itself mechanically,
and it does not require any human intervention.
- It comprises modular packaging with the composer-based dependency manager.
- It supports the database management system (DBMS) platforms like SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and My SQL.
- Laravel presents the version control system that aids with the streamlined organization of migrations.
- This framework has an abundant documentation trait.
- Laravel facilitates Artisan command alongside sample codes line interface.
- It can produce numerous novel tools with the aid of the LOC container.
- It also accelerates the Eloquent ORM, an innovative Active Record execution for functioning on DB.
- There are several enterprises in the field that have utilized Laravel for their full-featured web application development.
- Laravel lets you apply the controls between several DBM matters in a progressive query builder authentication mechanism.
Have a Web App Idea?
Confused where to start? Don’t know how much it will cost? Wondering if it will be successful? We’ve got you covered. Let’s talk.
Companies That Use Laravel for Web App Development
Laravel has many benefits and offers a steady web development framework. Due to its mounting popularity, firms from small to large enterprises select Laravel to utilize in their technology stack.
Some of the well-known websites using Laravel are Yulair, Fox47, Bonappetour, Startups, Laracasts, Explore Georgia, Global Dietary Database, Toyota Hall of Fame to name a few.
What is CodeIgniter Framework?
CodeIgniter is an influential minimalistic framework based on the PHP programming language. It has been premeditated for the developers who are looking for elegant and simple toolkits which would help them create full-featured web development applications.
This reliable PHP framework is considered to be one of the best web frameworks available in the market for generating dynamic websites utilizing PHP.
CodeIgniter delivers complete liberty for the consumers so that they do not require to rely upon MVC development pattern.One of the finest things about this framework is that it sanctions the plugins of third-party which aid in applying complex functionalities.
Additionally, an admirable characteristic of CodeIgniter is that it has great data encryption procedures and security.
Let us look at its dynamic features in detail.
Features of CodeIgniter Framework
CodeIgniter has gained a lot of importance amongst the PHP developers and it has formed a distinct mark already.This can be depicted from the BuiltWith graph on CodeIgniter usage statistics.
The prime reason for receiving this fame is the preeminent authentication features presented by this framework.
- File uploading class
- Error logging
- It facilitates the hooks and class extensions
- It authenticates the data and forms
- The library with image manipulation curriculums
- CodeIgniter incorporates session management module
- Search engine friendly URLs
- Inbuilt class support to send the emails
- Easy and simple to utilize MVC framework for its developers
- All the data is encrypted in CodeIgniter
- It supports data paging and data encryption
- Higher security levels and XSS filtering
- CodeIgniter is an extremely lightweight framework with a small footprint
- It delivers the unit testing class, calendar class, and built-in template engine
5 Reasons Why You Should Consider Using CodeIgniter
CodeIgniter provides a multitude of advantages and therefore is our top choice for building custom PHP web development solutions. Here is the list of key reasons to choose CodeIgniter framework for your next project:
- CodeIgniter offers support and stability to developers. The complete framework is well-structured and simple to use with an intuitive interface.
- The documentation done on this framework is tremendously easy to follow.
- It permits caching of the site for boosted performance and simpler loading times. CodeIgniter also offers SEO-friendly URLs and other SEO features that can optimize user traffic on your website.
- Its active community support is worth mentioning.They offer huge support and this knowledgeable community has answers for nearly all kinds of framework matters.
- CodeIgniter is very minimalistic but provides support for a lot of third-party plugins and libraries.
Companies That Use CodeIgniter for Web App Development
There is an enormous demand for CodeIgniter amongst the PHP web engineers owing to its active advantages and highlights at the present time.It is considered to be one of the most predominant PHP open-source frameworks for influential web app development.Any web app produced using CodeIgniter executes effectively and rapidly.
Also, while hiring a CodeIgniter developer, we need to look in for the necessary skills to consider.
CodeIgniter web framework is ideal for building e-commerce websites. And some of the popular websites using CodeIgniter are The Mail & Guardian, Casio, McClatchy, Nissan, Bonfire, Creditflux, Buffer to name a few.
CodeIgniter vs Laravel: What is The Difference?
Laravel and CodeIGniter are two different frameworks, designed for different use cases. While CodeIgniter does not facilitate ORM, Laravel allows a web developer to gain the benefit of eloquent object-relational mapping ORM.
Similarly, CodeIgniter requires its developers to form and uphold the modules by utilizing modular extension while Laravel is fabricated with inbuilt modularity characteristics.
The other major difference between codeigniter and laravel is – CodeIgniter is a minimalistic microframework, but Laravel is a full-stack framework that is more suited for robust application development. Some other differences between Laravel vs CodeIgniter are –
|Construction and updates||Laravel tends to follow the model-view-controller (MVC) pattern of filing. It contains a command line tool known as the Artisan.||CodeIgniter’s structure is MVC architectural pattern and supplies an easy on-boarding. The pattern was roughly based on object-oriented programming. Nevertheless, numerous developers utilized it as per their needs.|
|Support of DBMS||Laravel supports Microsoft SQL Server, ORACLE, MySQL, IBM DB2, PostgreSQL, JDBC compatible, and orientDB.||CodeIGniter also supports PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, and Microsoft BI. Furthermore, it also provides integration support for other prevalent databases like Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and DB2.|
|Inbuilt modules||This framework is formed with inbuilt modularity features. Laravel allows developers to split a project into trivial modules through the bundle.||This framework does not deliver any inbuilt modularity feature. So, the developers have to generate and preserve modules by utilizing Modular Extension.|
|Popularity and latest trends||It is much popular in the current times owing to its communicative coding pattern, favoured by experienced developers. It has more popularity compared to CodeIgniter||It presents an ease of usage in 2.x, and hence, most of the web developers prefer CodeIgniter.|
|Facilitate RESTful API||RESTful Controller methods authorize Laravel developers to produce a collection of REST API without investing extra effort and time.||It does not simplify the streamlined development of REST APIs.|
|Online support and libraries||Laravel offers the authorised documentation which is very helpful and elaborate. However, you can ascertain extra help from Laracast.com.||CodeIgniter offers adequate inbuilt functionality, and their site has a valuable guide that you can utilize without having any prior knowledge on it.|
|API building and template engine||It contains a simple but vigorous template engine named Blade. The Blade engine permits PHP programmers to enhance the execution of the web application by manipulating and augmenting views.||It does not include any built-in template engine. The developers ought to assimilate it with a third-party templating engine tool named Smarty. This aids them to execute common tasks and enhance the performance of the CodeIgniter website.|
|Template language||Blade template engine||PHP proprietary|
|Database model||Relational object-oriented||Object oriented|
|Programming paradigm||Component oriented||Object-oriented event driven functional|
|Authentication||The authentication class trait presented by Laravel forms it easier for its developers to implement authorization and authentication rules.||CodeIgniter does not come with inbuilt authentication traits. So, the developers need to authorize and authenticate the users by scripting custom CodeIgniter extensions.|
|HTTP support||It allows its programmers to describe custom HTTP routes. Laravel developers can form a precise URL for each HTTP route.||It does not facilitate HTTP completely. Hence, its developers can utilize URL to maintain the data transmission safely by forming paths.|
|Learning curve||It has various additional traits that are not easy to learn, at least for beginners.||The beginners find it simple and easy to learn and utilize CodeIgniter in comparison to Laravel.|
|Unit testing||Laravel allows its developers to check application code carefully and uninterruptedly with the assistance of PHP Unit.||CodeIgniter does not have an inbuilt unit testing tool. Hence, its developers ought to use an extra unit testing support to evaluate the value of application as well as code.|
Want a Custom Software Solution?
Get an affordable web-based software solution that is feature-rich, scalable, and integrable with your existing systems. Tailored to your requirements.
Which Web Framework to Use: CodeIgniter or Laravel? Why?
The above table depicts in detail the differences between the two popular PHP frameworks- CodeIgniter Vs Laravel.Both web frameworks have immense popularity.When deciding on the better PHP framework, we can ascertain that CodeIgniter and Laravel are both exceptional and suited for different purposes. Selecting one out of these two frameworks completely depends on your business requirements and type of web project.
We recommmend going with CodeIgniter when –
- You require a minimalistic framework without any built-in tools for testing or database management
- CodeIgniter is ideal for developing eCommerce web platforms
- It is apt for simple, scalable websites.
- CodeIgniter is preferred when speed is of importance. It has a much higher execution and development speed than Laravel.
Laravel is a better option for you if –
- Laravel is suitable for large and complex websites with advanced features
- It is apt for database-driven web apps that require handling large datasets
- Your team is familiar with Laravel.
- Choose Laravel if you want a full-stack framework that will cover the whole web development lifecycle.
This blog has fairly validated insights by comparing Laravel vs CodeIgniter in an elaborative way so that the users, as well as the tech stakeholders, can make their choice wisely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Laravel frontend or backend?
Laravel is a backend framework. It is a server-side PHP framework. With this framework, you can develop full stack applications, which means apps with the features that typically require a backend, such as, exports, order management, and user accounts.
Why do we use CodeIgniter?
CodeIgniter is a PHP framework, based on the MVC structure and is utilized for building web apps quickly. We use this framework as its small footprint where the entire source code is nearly 2MB. It is extendable, has a short learning curve, and great documentation. It has components for database tables, session management, and sending email.
Which is better – CodeIgniter or Laravel?
Laravel is relational object-oriented while Codeigniter is object-oriented. Codeigniter does not have inbuilt authentication characteristics, whereas Laravel has authentication class traits. From the blog CodeIgniter vs Laravel, we can state that both of these powerful PHP web frameworks have its significance and unique features. Nevertheless, selecting one of them completely depends on the requirement of your business’ project.
Laravel and CodeIgniter both are the best PHP frameworks that you can utilize for your developing web applications.Laravel, as compared to CodeIgniter, seems to be slightly difficult for beginners when it comes to learning it, but eventually, it offers you certain additional advanced features which prove to be appropriate for your website.
On the contrary, CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework that is easy to study and good for those web projects which are trivial and does not require additional authentication features.
In the above Laravel vs CodeIgniter, you can easily gauge that CodeIgniter may not facilitate any precise features to streamline the database schema migration whereas Laravel tends to make it easy by the database agnostic migrations trait provided.
Don’t miss out reading another in-depth comparison between Yii and Laravel to find out which framework is better and why?.
At Monocubed, you would get assistance from our proficient team that would build full-featured web applications in Laravel or CodeIgniter depending upon the requirement of your business project.