Ruby on Rails IDE is all you require to begin your programming expedition with the Ruby on Rails web framework. There are several IDEs that are accessible in today’s market, both paid and free, and choosing one is time-consuming.
Ruby on Rails usage statistics depicts that it is a potent programming language and writing code in Ruby is easier compared to the rest of the languages. Ruby acquired its popularity after the Ruby on Rails framework became prevalent and developers across the globe started employing it for their web development. Let’s take a closer look at the Ruby on Rails concept and IDE available for web development.
Table of Content
- What is an IDE?
- What is Ruby on Rails used for?
- 8 Best Ruby on Rails IDEs to Use
- Which IDE Should You Use For Ruby on Rails?
What is an IDE?
Integrated development environments (IDE) are intended to maximize programmers’ productivity by supplying tight-knit components with parallel user interfaces. IDE is a software application that delivers wide-ranging services to computer engineers and programmers for software development. An IDE generally contains at least a debugger, a source code editor, and build automation tools.
Some of the IDEs, like Eclipse and NetBeans, comprise the essential interpreter, compiler, or both; others, namely, Lazarus and SharpDevelop, do not. The border between an IDE and other portions of the wider software development setting is not defined; occasionally a version control system or several tools to streamline the creation of a graphical user interface (GUI) are incorporated. Many contemporary IDEs have a class hierarchy diagram, a class browser, and an object browser for usage in object-based software development.
What is Ruby on Rails used for?
Ruby on Rails is one of the most popular web frameworks employed for developing an application that is faster than a Java framework. Also, Rails give emphasis to the practice of other well-known software engineering paradigms and patterns, comprising the active record pattern, Don’t Repeat Yourself (DRY), and Convention Over Configuration (CoC).
Benefits That States What is Ruby on Rails Used for:
- The Rails conventions make it simpler for developers to shift between diverse Rails projects, as every project tends to abide by the same coding practices and structure.
- The procedure of programming is faster than the rest of the languages and frameworks, partly due to the object-oriented trait of Ruby and the massive collection of open-source code accessible within the community.
- The coding in Ruby is readable and self-documenting. This enhances productivity, as there is less requirement to write out distinct documentation, making it simpler for the developers to pick the current projects.
- Rails is extremely good for rapid application development (RAD), as this framework makes it easy to accommodate any alterations.
- Rails and its libraries are open source and so dissimilar to other commercial development frameworks. Also, it has absolutely no licensing costs.
- Rails has built a sturdy emphasis on testing and has a decent testing framework.
8 Best Ruby on Rails IDEs to Use
- It has formatting suggestions, code completion, syntax and error highlighting, and unified integration with version control systems.
Atom editor, from Github, now a subsidiary of Microsoft, is an open-source IDE that has extremely customizable traits to simplify code development. In addition to this, it aids in upsurge productivity without moving the configuration file each time. Typically, it does not function alone since it avails support from the Github seamless practice. It supports numerous programming languages that include Ruby.
- Incorporation with Git and GitHub for version control.
- It contains auto-completion, manifold panes, and find and replace characteristics.
- Teletype, in which developers can function in the identical document in real-time.
VIM is an open-source, free to use text editor for Ruby on Rails that is considered to be rich in features. Those who utilize VIM, they love it, especially developers who love using only a keyboard and no mouse for availing lightning-fast coding. VIM is available under the GPL license as open-source software. The fame of VIM can be ascertained from the fact that the engineers at Facebook have employed VIM during their early development stage.
- It is keyboard-based, which can make moving from file to file quickly.
- VIM Editor is accessible as a Ruby IDE for Linux.
- Plugins that present a choice to convert this text editor into an influential Ruby development environment.
Sublime Text is the code editor that is customizable, lightweight, and high performing. It is one of the most prevalent text editors due to its beautiful user interface, performance, and the capability to add plugins, which can turn it into a fully-featured IDE.
- The Goto definition and Goto Anything features simplify user searches.
- Performance and customization are highlights of this text editor.
- It has the capability to divide edit, the ability to select and change the text in several places at once, and promptly switch projects without having to save.
- Its filter nodes are utilized to view collections to match the patterns.
- It helps to forecast the bugs.
- Aptana Studio provides integrated support with Rails.
- It comprises syntax or error high-lightning too.
- It has a tree-structured code representation.
- It easily inspects variables, breakpoints, and control execution.
Emacs is a complete stunner and adorable editor for Ruby scripting and Ruby on Rails-based web programming. It is accessible free to use and can be configured and customized as per the requirements. Emacs is utilized by several Ruby developers, and for that motive, there is a devoted Ruby plugin named enhanced Ruby mode for supporting Ruby programming.
Supplementary packages to further augment Emacs for Ruby comprise names like ruby-tools, rubocop-emacs, rake, rvm, chruby, bundler, and rbenv. It is one of the best selections explicitly when you are considering a free Ruby IDE.
- Its edit modes include syntax colouring.
- It is functionality outside of text editing, containing tutorials for project planners, new users, and a debugger interface.
- It has a highly customizable appearance utilizing GUI or Emacs Lisp.
Cloud9 presents the development environment for nearly all programming languages comprising Ruby. It is quickly becoming popular amongst medium to big enterprises and companies like Soundcloud, Heroku, Mozilla, Mailchimp to name a few are already employing Cloud9.
You will get the hosted development setting of Ruby on Rails in Cloud9 and retrieving the command is like how you will do it on your own workstation. You get practically all the characteristics that you require for Ruby on Rails development including a text editor, file manager, Unix shell, preview, and chatting for team collaboration.
- It supplies a browser-based editor that makes it simple to write, run, and debug your projects. You can choose the themes for the editor.
- It encompasses the integrated panel debugger that aids to breakpoint, check variables state and steps through code.
- It enables you to run commands, such as compiling your code, push code changes to git, or exhibiting command output from servers.
- Tools, namely Serverless Application Model (SAM) use templates in Cloud9 to deliver a streamlined way of describing resources for your serverless applications.
NetBeans is utilized for diverse programming languages as a prevalent IDE for development. For developers and programmers, it is considered a faster and smarter way to code. You can employ NetBeans to quickly and easily develop desktop, mobile, and web applications using Java, PHP, HTML 5, C or C++. This IDE arises from Oracle and is free to utilize. It also relishes the support of a huge community of users and developers.
- It is reliably the first IDE to support the newest versions of the Java EE, JDK, and JavaFX.
- With its end-to-end app development traits, continuously improving Java Editor, and frequent speed and performance enhancements, NetBeans IDE sets the benchmark for application development with cutting-edge technologies.
- It delivers smart outlines to aid you in comprehend and manage your applications, containing excellent support for popular technologies, namely Maven.
Which IDE Should You Use For Ruby on Rails?
Your developers are going to devote much time to opt for the required editor for your web development project. Hence, it is imperative to utilize an editor that you are comfortable and productive with. Most of the editors and IDEs mentioned above for Ruby development are either free or give a free trial version. It is always helpful to try out a few of them before you opt for one.
Here are certain things that you should consider before selecting the best text editor for Ruby:
- Consider inbuilt characteristics that enhance your productivity like auto-complete, code snippets, and clean design that does not get in your way.
- Whether the selected Ruby on Rails editor is open-source or not?
- What Ruby-related plugins are accessible to create things easier for you?
These were some of the best code editors for Ruby on Rails that can increase developers’ productivity in building applications. Still, if you have some queries or questions, here we have answered some frequently asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What IDE should I use for Ruby on Rails?
Is there a difference between Ruby and Ruby on Rails?
Yes, there is a difference between Ruby and Ruby on Rails. Ruby is a language while Ruby on Rails is a web framework. Ruby is a dynamic, object-oriented, interpreted scripting language. While, Ruby on Rails is an open-source web application framework, which functions on Ruby language.
Is Python similar to Ruby?
No, Python is not similar to Ruby. As discussed in one of our previous blogs, Ruby on Rails vs Python, the Ruby on Rails web framework is developed utilizing the Ruby language while the Django web framework is developed using Python language. Python takes a more direct methodology to program. Its chief goal is to make everything noticeable to the programmers.
Ruby is a universal-purpose programming language that is frequently compared with Python when it comes to an easy understanding of syntax and readability. Similar to Python, Ruby is also one of the popular languages, especially for beginners.
Ruby requires a feature-rich good Ruby on Rails code editors like Atom, Vim, Emacs, or Sublime Text. A fully-loaded feature IDE namely Eclipse for Java is not actually needed for the maximum of the projects. Contact Moncocubed, to get the suitable IDEs and editors that will avail you of fruitful web development.