Do you want to attain higher engagement and brand loyalty for your business in this tech era? Your business can be thriving if you provide a rich user experience. For this, you can create a powerful web interface, with some of the best front-end application development tools. There are numerous CSS and UI frameworks that claim to be functional and responsive. So, with this blog, we would like to answer one of the most prevalent confusions of all time, Angular Material vs Bootstrap, which one is better for development.
Developers focus on creating websites that have a robust structure and functionality. They tend to choose the framework that is best suited for rendering impeccable solutions and supreme user experience. The two of the most well-known methods for website development in the past few years have been angular and bootstrap. Let’s get started with understanding these approaches that are utilized for creating web pages and app designing.
Table of Content
What is Angular?
Angular is an open-source framework for developing single-page applications using TypeScript and HTML. It is written in TypeScript language. It enforces optional and core functionality as the set of TypeScript libraries that you can import into your applications. Big giants namely, PayPal, Lego, Upwork, Netflix, and Freelancer use this dynamic framework.
An Angular application has the architecture that relies on specific fundamental concepts. The most standard building blocks are ng-modules, which offer a collection of contexts for angular components library. These modules gather the related code into functional sets and thus an Angular app is mainly defined by a set of such ng modules. Components describe views, which are a collection of screen elements, from which Angular can opt and alter according to the program data and logic.
Components utilize services, which present definite functionality not exactly related to views. Service providers can be infused into components as dependencies, creating the code reusable, modular, and efficient. Components, modules, and services are the classes that employ decorators. Such decorators check their type and give metadata. These metadata provide the information Angular required to make it accessible to components by the means of Dependency Injection (DI).
What is Angular Material?
The UX/UX components in Angular are called Angular Materials. The extensive utilization of component based frameworks such as React, Angular, and Vue.js, has witnessed a rising amount of prebuilt user interface component collections. Such collections can facilitate a web developer to swiftly create proficient and responsive applications. Before getting onto what is Angular Material, let us know about Material Design.
Angular Material is the functioning of Material Design guidelines and principles for Angular. A UI library is usually a store where all of the components stay together. It consists of a range of UI angular material components listed below:
- Form controls – select, input, date picker, sliders, checkbox, etc.
- Layout components – cards, grids, lists, and tabs
- Navigation patterns – side-nav, menus, and toolbar
- Data tables with headers
- Modals and pop-ups
- Indicators – spinners and progress bars
What is Bootstrap?
Bootstrap also has widespread support and vast coding documentation with extensive online resources and assistance from developers. This, in turn, makes it easier to understand this framework better and how to employ it. The main purpose of Bootstrap design is to facilitate and simplify the development of web pages and web applications, by supplying abundant options and components that can be carried out and customized.
Bootstrap includes an array of design templates. These templates are focused on and work with the following:
- Sass – version 4
- Less – version 3
The components that are pre-styled in Bootstrap:
- Badges alerts
- Progress bar
Bootstrap contains a lot of appealing features. The following features make it more accepted among web designers community:
- asy to Begin With – It is easy to get started. This is perhaps the first feature which makes Bootstrap very popular.
- LESS and CSS Files – Bootstrap offers LESS files and also covers the old CSS files.
- Customizable – Considering the information that Bootstrap is designed in reactive 12-column layouts, grids, and components, it is also easier to customize. Whether you want a definite or responsive, it can be attained by implementing some changes. Nesting and offsetting of columns are easy to perform in both, CPU and mobile based browser grids.
- Receptive Utility Classes – An additional important feature is its receptive utility classes. Deploying these classes, a peculiar portion of content can be formed to emerge or conceal only on devices relying on the size of the screen being utilized. This makes it enormously conducive for designers who want to craft a tablet and mobile friendly version of the websites.
- Drop-Down Component Menu – This is one of the most receptive features and to add it in the website, numerous dissimilar plugins, mainly Java-based, are tested. But with Bootstrap and its simple customizing option, it can easily be done in a few minutes.
Angular Material vs Bootstrap: A Detailed Comparison
Comparing bootstrap vs angular material is meant to assist you in deciding whether to go with angular material or bootstrap for your application.
|Front-end development platform||It has UX/UX components in Angular.||It is an open source CSS framework.|
|User interface||It provides enhanced user experience.||It provides a nice looking, clean, and simple user interface.|
|Buttons & Button group||It renders color alternatives for buttons, namely, Primary, Basic, Warm, Accent, Link, and Disabled.||It renders around 9 color options – Primary, Secondary, Danger, Success, Dark, Info, Link, and Warning.|
|Expansion Panel or Collapse||The Expansion Panel targets to present a detailed summary to the users.||Maybe, the collapse from bootstrap seems a bit outdated but that can be taken care of by some CSS styling.|
|Card||A plain card is provided by Angular material UI design.||It gives more color options.|
|Input and forms||It has more control as compared to Bootstrap. This contains date picker, slider, slider toggle, and auto-complete field – searchable select control.||The form controls the expansion on rebooted form styles with classes. With these classes, you can opt for a customized display for more consistency that renders across devices and browsers.|
|Menus Components||It contains a toolbar that is equal to Bootstrap’s own nav-bar component. And, has an exceptional sidebar component that isn’t equivalent to Bootstrap.||It provides the easiest way to build a receptive nav-bar when compared to Angular Material.|
|Unique Components||Components found in angular material design, but not in Bootstrap are – slider, date picker, slide toggle, grid list, toolbar, snackbar, icon, stepper, sort header, chips, progress spinner.||Components found in Bootstrap but not in angular material design are – breadcrumb, collapse, carousel, alerts, scrollspy, popovers, jumbotron.|
Which is better – Angular Material or Bootstrap?
In the conflict of angular material vs bootstrap, we understand that both have several incredible components. Material design with Angular has some benefits as it is an angular.js UI framework. It has complete material design support and has a mobile first framework that functions well with desktop. It also consists of an adaptive layout directives and flexbox grid system. Companies using angular material versions are Contingent, Smartbnb, ThinkTribe, Medidesk, Stamp App, to name a few.
While Bootstrap has complete angular support and a strong web developers community. With the latest Bootstrap 5 Alpha, it has improved API and enhanced grid systems. Companies using Bootstrap are Udemy, Twitter, StackShare, Spotify, LinkedIn, to name a few. On comparing bootstrap vs angular, we gauge that our aim is to build a collection of premium quality UI components.
This can be done by means of Angular with Material design, you get high performance and accessibility, as well as freedom from bugs. For any web development framework and platform, Bootstrap is the one numerous developers depend on for their task as it builds an ultimate product that is high-speed, receptive, and accessible across platforms and browsers.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use Bootstrap with Angular Material?
If you want to use angular material with bootstrap, you will retain: Both possess CSS which targets your front end elements – buttons, input elements. These two technologies have their unique feel which means your project will not have one single look. On adopting both these technologies, you need to look at the CSS styles that must not override others on common portions, for example, font family and font size.
2. How to customize Bootstrap?
There are two ways to customize Bootstrap using CSS and SASS.
- Easy CSS Overrides – This technique works by stating CSS rules that go with Bootstrap’s CSS rules which ultimately forms a style ‘override’. It is simple to retain, and permits you to advance to future trivial editions of Bootstrap without violating the customized styles.
- Customized using SASS – As the complete Bootstrap 4 CSS foundation is written in SASS language, Bootstrap 4 CSS files are acquired to utilize the SASS compiler. Hence, it makes sense that SASS is the optimal method to customize Bootstrap.
3. Is Angular Flex Layout better than Bootstrap?
Angular Flex Layout can provide a robust grid system which depends on CSS flex. The charm of this layout relies on how you describe the layout regions in association with each other. Angular Material and Angular Flex Layout are absolutely better than bootstrap. But that doesn’t mean that you should not use bootstrap, but you may consider utilizing both the libraries.
4. Why do we use Bootstrap?
We use Bootstrap for the following reasons:
- Easy to use – Anyone who has a basic understanding of CSS and HTML can start using it.
- Receptive features – Its receptive CSS amends to tablets, phones, and desktops.
- Mobile-first design – In Bootstrap 3, mobile-first designs are a portion of the core framework.
- Browser compatibility – It is compatible with all contemporary browsers, namely, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari, Internet Explorer.
Web app and web page designing has explored an extensive way, to the point where simpler websites are a fad of the past. Previously, flyers, billboards, ads, and radio advertising were considered to be proven methods for promoting any business. But since the last decade, things have changed drastically with the everyday invention in science and technology. With the expanding technologies and frameworks, we are familiar with websites that are spectacular visually, and that function perfectly.
The objective of Material Design is to unite the user experience on mobile, web, and tablet instruments. In fact, material design for Angular is developed with the aid of AngularJS, Polymer, and Ionic. It will facilitate you to produce an interactive, rich, and device-oriented UI for the web application. Still, it’s an initial preview phase but it is prominent enough to create a modern device oriented UI web app. This comparison in angular material vs bootstrap will render you a clear understanding on what to choose for your web development.
Bootstrap is a structure where information is presented and organized. And we place a great emphasis on the word ‘information’ because apps like Twitter, Coursera, Apple music were built with soft colors, minimalistic patterns, bold and huge headlines, minute or no animation. It presents an opportunity with the least amount of interruptions and supplies readable and clear UI. People visit such websites not to take pleasure in smooth and bright animation or fancy buttons, but to collect information as easy and quick as possible.