Do you want to attain higher engagement and brand loyalty for your business in this tech era?
Your business can be thriving if you provide a rich user experience. For this, you can create a powerful web interface, with some of the best front-end application development tools. There are numerous CSS and UI frameworks that claim to be functional and responsive.
So, with this blog, we would like to answer one of the most prevalent confusions of all time, Angular vs Bootstrap, which one is better for development.
Developers focus on creating websites that have a robust structure and functionality. They tend to choose the framework that is best suited for rendering impeccable solutions and supreme user experience. The two of the most well-known methods for website development in the past few years have been angular and bootstrap.
Let’s get started with understanding these approaches that are utilized for creating web page designing.
Table of Content
What is Angular?
Angular is an open-source framework for developing single-page web applications using TypeScript and HTML. It is written in TypeScript language. It enforces optional and core functionality as the set of TypeScript libraries that you can import into your web apps. Big giants namely, PayPal, Lego, Upwork, Netflix, and Freelancer use this dynamic framework.
An Angular web application has the architecture that relies on specific fundamental concepts. The most standard building blocks are ng-modules, which offer a collection of contexts for angular components library.
These modules gather the related code into functional sets and thus an Angular app is mainly defined by a set of such ng modules. Components describe views, which are a collection of screen elements, from which Angular can opt and alter according to the program data and logic.
What is Angular Material?
The UX/UX components in Angular are called Angular-based Materials. The extensive utilization of component-based frameworks such as React, Angular, and Vue.js, has witnessed a rising amount of prebuilt user interface component collections. Such collections can facilitate a web developer to swiftly create proficient and responsive design framework and applications.
Before getting onto what is Angularjs Material, let us know about Material Design.
In 2014, a design language invented by Google, Materials was introduced. To aid you in motion, visual, and interactive base design, use Material Design as your vigorous tool. This front-end framework helps you adopt different devices and screen sizes. Initially, it was affixed to Angular JS to create such apps more striking and function faster.
It is the functioning of Material Design guidelines and principles for Angular. A UI component library is usually a store where all of the web components stay together. It consists of a range of UI angular components listed below:
- Form controls – select, input, sliders, checkbox, etc.
- Layout components – cards, grids, lists, and tabs
- Navigation patterns – side-nav, menus, and toolbar
- Data tables with headers
- Modals and pop-ups
- Indicators – spinners and progress bars
Below are a few significant features of Angular Material:
- Customary CSS with a negligible footprint
- Inbuilt receptive designing
- Comprises new versions of common UI controls such as checkboxes, text fields, and buttons which are incorporated to follow Material Design notions
- Cross-browser, and can be utilized to form reusable web components
- Contains specialized and enhanced features like toolbar, cards, side nav, speed dial, and so on
- Angular Material classes are built in such a way that the site can fit aptly to any screen size.
- Websites developed using Angular are completely compatible with mobile devices, tablets, and PC.
- It has an inbuilt responsive pattern so that the site formed utilizing Angular Material will restructure itself as per the size of the device.
- Angular Material is formed considering the fact that it is easier to add novel CSS rules than to overwrite the current CSS rules.
- It is by design very flat and minimal.
- The shades and colors remain unchanging across several devices and platforms.
- It supports bold colors and shadows.
What is Bootstrap?
Bootstrap is an open source and intuitive CSS framework, which is used primarily for mobile first front-end website development. It was discovered by Mark Otto and Jacob Thornton at Twitter, and it was formerly named as ‘Twitter Blueprint’.
Bootstrap also has widespread support and vast coding documentation with extensive online resources and assistance from the community of developers. This, in turn, makes it easier to understand this framework better and how to employ it.
The main purpose of Bootstrap design is to facilitate and simplify the problem of web pages and web applications development, by supplying abundant options and components that can be carried out and customized.
Bootstrap includes an array of design templates. These templates are focused on and work with the following:
- Sass – version 4
- Less – version 3
The components that are pre-styled in Bootstrap:
- Badges alerts
- Progress bar
Bootstrap contains a lot of appealing features. The following features make it more accepted among web designers community:
- Easy to Begin With – It is easy to get started. This is perhaps the first feature which makes Bootstrap very popular.
- LESS and CSS Files – Bootstrap offers LESS files and also covers the old CSS files.
- Customizable – Considering the information that Bootstrap is designed in reactive 12-column layouts, grid system, and components, it is also easier to customize. Whether you want a definite or responsive, it can be attained by implementing some changes. Nesting and offsetting of columns are easy to perform in both, CPU and mobile browser compatibility grids.
- Receptive Utility Classes – An additional important feature is its receptive utility classes. Deploying these classes, a particular portion of content can be formed to emerge or conceal only on devices relying on the size of the screen being utilized. This makes it enormously conducive for designers who want to craft a tablet and mobile-friendly version of the portfolio websites.
- Drop-Down Component Menu – This is one of the most receptive features and to add it to the website, numerous dissimilar plugins, mainly Java-based, are tested. But with Bootstrap and its simple customizing option, it can easily be done in a few minutes.
Angular Material vs Bootstrap
|Front-end development platform||It has UX/UX components in Angular.||It is an open source CSS framework.|
|User experience / interface||It provides enhanced user experience.||It provides a nice looking, clean, and simple user interface.|
|Buttons & Button group||It renders color alternatives for buttons, namely, Primary, Basic, Warm, Accent, Link, and Disabled.||It renders around 9 color options – Primary, Secondary, Danger, Success, Dark, Info, Link, and Warning.|
|Expansion Panel or Collapse||The Expansion Panel targets to present a detailed summary to the users.||Maybe, the collapse from bootstrap seems a bit outdated but that can be taken care of by some CSS styling.|
|Card||A plain card is provided by Angular material UI design.||It gives more color specific options.|
|Input and forms||It has more control as compared to Bootstrap. This contains date picker, slider, slider toggle, and auto-complete field – searchable select control.||The form controls the expansion on rebooted form styles with classes. With these classes, you can opt for a customized display for more consistency that renders across devices and browsers.|
|Menus Components||It contains a toolbar that is equal to Bootstrap’s own nav-bar component. And, has an exceptional sidebar component that isn’t equivalent to Bootstrap.||It provides the easiest way to build a receptive nav-bar when compared to Angular Material.|
|Unique Components||Components found in angular material design, but not in Bootstrap are – slider, date picker, slide toggle, grid list, toolbar, snackbar, icon, stepper, sort header, chips, progress spinner.||Components found in Bootstrap but not in angular material design are – breadcrumb, collapse, carousel, alerts, scrollspy, popovers, jumbotron.|
Angular Material or Bootstrap – Which One is Better?
In the conflict of bootstrap vs material, we understand that both have several incredible components. Material design with Angular has some benefits as it is an angular.js UI framework. It has complete material design support and has a mobile-first framework that functions well with a desktop.
It also consists of adaptive layout directives and a flexbox grid system. Companies using angular-based material design versions are Contingent, Smartbnb, ThinkTribe, Medidesk, Stamp App, to name a few.
While Bootstrap has complete angular support and a strong web developers community. With the latest Bootstrap 5 Alpha, it has improved API and enhanced grid systems. Companies using Bootstrap are Udemy, Twitter, StackShare, Spotify, LinkedIn, to name a few.
On comparing bootstrap vs angular, we gauge that our aim is to build a premium quality UI library and component.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use Bootstrap with Angular Material?
If you want to use angular material with bootstrap, you will retain: Both possess CSS which targets your front-end elements – buttons, input elements. These two technologies have their unique feel which means your project will not have one single look. On adopting both these technologies, you need to look at the CSS styles that must not override others on common portions, for example, font family and font size.
How to customize Bootstrap?
There are two ways to custom-make Bootstrap using CSS and SASS. Easy CSS Overrides works by stating CSS rules that go with Bootstrap’s CSS rules which ultimately form a style ‘override’. And Customized using SASS, as the complete Bootstrap 4 CSS foundation is written in SASS language, Bootstrap 4 CSS files are acquired to utilize the SASS compiler. Hence, it makes sense that SASS is the optimal method to customize Bootstrap.
Is Angular Flex Layout better than Bootstrap?
Angular Flex-Layout can provide a robust grid system which depends on CSS flex. The charm of this layout relies on how you describe the layout regions in association with each other. Angular Material and Flex Layout are absolutely better than bootstrap. But that doesn’t mean that you should not use bootstrap, but you may consider utilizing both the libraries.
Why do we use Bootstrap?
We use Bootstrap because it is easy to use. Anyone who has a basic understanding of CSS and HTML can start using them. Its receptive CSS amends to tablets, phones, and desktops. In Bootstrap 3, mobile-first designs are a portion of the core framework. It is compatible with all contemporary browsers, namely, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari, Internet Explorer.
With the expanding technologies and frameworks, we see websites that are spectacular visually, and that function perfectly. The objective of Material Design is to unite the user experience on mobile, web, and tablet instruments. In fact, material design for Angular is developed with the aid of AngularJS, Polymer, and Ionic.
Whereas, Bootstrap is a structure where information is presented and organized. And we place a great emphasis on the word ‘information’ because apps like Twitter, Coursera, Apple music were built with soft colors, minimalistic patterns, bold and huge headlines, minute or no animation.
Contact our experts for more details on Bootstrap and material get dynamic web development.